Friday, November 12, 2010

Dad's day Yesterday..

I had originally planned on posting this last night but life got in the way! ;)

Yesterday morning I went to my folks' house and dad was stumbling around the house. After trying to figure out what he was doing, he said that he was looking for his flag to fly b/c it was Veteran's Day. My dad, a very patriotic man, always flies the flag on special days like yesterday. He is a Veteran. After stumbling all over for a good 10 minutes my mom and I convinced him to sit down.

He picked up the newspaper and started bawling. He showed us that the news paper only had, in 1/2 inch lettering, in the midst of larger headlines that it was Veteran's Day. He was hurt. He said that soon they'll try to forget it all. The kids no longer get Veteran's Day out of school & the paper can't even headline it anymore. He was pretty upset about it all but I think it was more that he couldn't find his flags & because he was stumbling. What do you do when your dad cries? Hug him. That's all I did.

Mom and I went into the living room and she told me that he was having a pretty bad morning. He says that his brain feels like it's trying to 'outgrow' his skull. I've never seen my dad so sad, in so much pain, and so disoriented at times in my life. Around 9 A.M. I told dad that I was leaving. with the innocence of a child he asked me where I was going. I told him that I had to do a few things at home before work but that I'd be back after work. Anytime I've said that I was leaving he's never questioned it. Yesterday he wanted to know why.

Yesterday afternoon I stopped back in after work and he seemed to be doing a little bit better. His stumbling wasn't as pronounced but his stuttering started showing. He used to only stutter on "I" yesterday I heard him stutter on the letter "B". When I left he was sitting in his blue chair at the counter watching TV. Gave him a hug and a kiss and left.

Yesterday afternoon I made the 'executive' decision to call his 2 best friends and let them know what was going on. They haven't talked to dad in a long time so I figured I aught give them the heads up that he's sick, but ok. Luckily they didn't say I'm sorry, they said, "He's a strong man he'll pull through." I agree. I told the one guy the hardest part is watching someone who you thought was totally invincible since you were a child get sick. His reply, "I'm not a child but I always thought he was invincible too."

I tried calling my uncle however it went to voice mail, when he called back, I was busy with one of my dad's grandkids. I'll return his call today and hope that I can talk to him for a minute. According to mom he doesn't know yet.

That's all from yesterday. Hopefully I'll be able to update tonight instead of tomorrow morning! ~Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment