Friday, December 3, 2010

Dear God Just Make My Dad Ok...

It's 3:30 am & I can't sleep. This is how awesome my dad is, even I didn't realize it...

One of his co-workers, we'll call her D, had surgery a few years ago. Dad went to the hospital with carnations or flowers of the like for her. Just to make sure that she was ok. You see, my dad doesn't let many people in. Before he got sick he wouldn't talk to hardly anyone. He just wasn't a very open person. After my brother died he put up a few more walls. Yesterday in the hospital he kept telling J that she needed to get 766, then he'd trail off and say 766666. I thought that he was talking about his lotto tickets. I was wrong. He was talking about D. He wanted her called so that she knew what was going on. The 2nd time I heard him ask, I asked J, what is he talking about?!?! She said He wants D called. I nodded and said ok, I've got 3 of her phone numbers I'll go call.

I went out to the van and called her. She was relieved to hear what was going on. She had gotten a message that dad was in the hospital. Nothing else. She didn't know why, she didn't know his condition or anything. As we chatted she told me the story about dad going in to see her after her surgery and how much it meant to her. I choked back tears as I replied, "That's my dad!" That is my dad. That's how awesome he is. I hung up with her and promised to keep her posted last night.

I went back into the hospital, and saw dad, he was only sort of awake. I said, "Daddy I called D." He said, "WHO?!?!" I said, "D." He didn't understand. I said, "Daddy I called 766." He got an instant look of relief in his eyes. He said, "Ok, Thank you." I said, "She's worried about you daddy." He nodded although I'm not sure it was intentional.

D is coming to see dad today during lunch. I hope that he's feeling better. I know that the day that he went to work to see everyone he was bummed that she wasn't there. It's amazing the power of a friendship!! If this helps him pull through and be ok, I wish she'd camp out in his room!

Why my dad is amazing story #2. Yesterday when we got there, obviously things weren't well. He wasn't coherent, he was coming in and out of consciousness. We're not sure if he was sleeping or passing out. His eyes would roll before his head would slump back. Mom was on one side of the gurney and I was on the other. Both holding his hands. I had the hand that was in the blood pressure cuff so it was cold. Daddy's hands are never cold, not even when he would tuck our hair in our hoods when we were little!

Dad grabbed moms hand kind of like he was going to arm wrestle her. I think it was for a better grip. It took all the strength he had to lift himself the few inches and pucker his lips. He gently kissed mom before he laid himself back on the bed. It was the simplest, yet most powerful form of affection I've ever seen. It took everything he had to lean up and kiss mom. Yet, while he's there on this gurney, he's worried about mom. They have such a phenomenal relationship.

My dad is amazing. Dear God, Just make my dad ok. Ok? He's got too many people who would be devastated to lose him. Me included. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment