Saturday, June 4, 2011

She's Going To Try Again.

Dr. Sriratna called yesterday & told mom that he wants to do a 3 day chemo. Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday mom will receive chemo. Then she'll have a month off (I believe that's how he said it, if I'm wrong I'll correct it later today). I honestly think that 3-5 month prognosis scared her. I'm all for her doing & continuing chemo unless, it makes her sick like it did last time.

Here comes more heartwrenching possibly bad news. Mom has been saying for a few weeks that her pain meds are not helping her back & right hip. (She has degenerative disc disease) She's had numerous back surgeries to try and help with the discs that are more or less falling apart. I've noticed her struggling a little bit more as she tries to stand, lay down, sit down, etc. I said, "Mom what's going on?" She said, "My meds aren't working. Nothing is working." I said, "It's ok mom, it's probably just the chemo making you feel worse." I am pretty sure I was wrong. She is having no side effects from the chemo that she had almost 2 weeks ago, yet the pain is still there.

Side story...It was around 7 am & I was sitting out in the garage talking to Mike. It hit me.. slowly but it hit. I'm wondering if the cancer hasn't spread to her bones. I mentioned it to Mike & he said, "Maybe." I have since done a ton of research on Stage IV Lung Cancer & Bone Pain. After reading & reading some more it is fairly common for Lung Cancer to spread to the bone. This lessens the length of life. As I discussed this with mom she had already thought of that. I asked what would happen on her autopsy? What would they put for her cause of death? Stage IV Lung Cancer? Bone Cancer? Fallopian Tube Cancer? All 3? She said, "Since my cancer started out in my Fallopian Tubes that would be considered the cause of death unless something catastrophic happens."

*biiiig deeeeepp breath*

I'm glad that my mom is so open to talking about everything because if I wasn't allowed to talk to her about it I would most likely be a basket case by now. I can talk to many people about it, but she's going through it. I'm taking notes in my head about everything. How this happened, how that happened. She is using some of the information that she has from my aunt & gramma's deaths. I guess maybe I'm doing the same thing? I'm unsure.

I still say that all of this is happening too fast. I would like for mom to get a test done to see if it has in fact gone to her bones but she says, "No, I already know I'm dying, and I already know the cause, you will get all the information from the autopsy." I'm perfectly fine with this because she's right, why in the world would/should she go through another test when we already know the outcome? I digress...

Moving on to dad.. He's doing ok. Not great, but ok. He has a Dr appointment Monday w/ the neuro. We are interested in seeing what she has to say since there is some improvement with his functions. She was completely against letting him try this Parkinson's medicine. We're hoping that she ups it just a little bit. Then, with any hope he'll do ok.

I think this is all for now, hopefully everything goes well on Monday. Will blog after their appointments unless something else comes up!

No comments:

Post a Comment